Internet safety is extremely important.
You need to know exactly what to do when making safe friends on the internet, how to deal with bad emails or texts, how to deal with a virus, and safe ways to sign up on the internet. We will be explaining how to deal with all of these internet problems, and how to overall be safe on the internet.
Great Social Medias/Apps to Communicate with Friends~
- Houseparty– I would really recommend houseparty because it is basically Facetime, but you can play games with your friends online while on a call.
- Bunch– I would also recommend this game because it is also like Facetime, but you can play games and some of these games include Minecraft and Roblox.
- Snapchat– I would recommend Snapchat because it is a different way to communicate with friends and it also does some fun stuff with Bitmoji.
- Any online games- There are a bunch of online games some I would recommend are Roblox or Minecraft. These are both pretty popular, and decently safe.
- You can also never go wrong with email, text, Facetime, or just a regular call.
Safe Ways to Sign Up on a Social Media or App~
- Never use your full name. Either use an abbreviation or a nick name. For example, if your name is Elizabeth use Lizzy so your friends know who you are, but strangers don’t. Also don’t use anything in your username giving ideas of what age you are or where you live. You can make a fun combination code with friends or family like… 12335, 7657, 1289, etc.. It might also be easier to make usernames consistent.
- When you can put a picture up with your username make sure to first not make it to political when you first sign up. It may cause drama and you don’t want that. First make a post or something along that line just to be safe and out of the drama. Make sure also if you are just going to do a picture of you try to do one with a couple friends so bad people don’t know what you look like. It is also safer and easier to find a picture online or your favorite animal or a pattern you really like.
Making Friends and Friending People~
- When people follow you or you become friends you don’t always have to know them, but if you don’t, don’t share any important information with them. NOT EVEN YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! This will help you stay safe even if the other person isn’t lying and maybe the nicest person you ever meet, but it is just safer. And don’t feel bad if someone asks to follow you and you say no. It is NOT your fault. You just want to stay safe no matter what.
- When finding friends first find all of your personal friends and then you can find more friends . Usually the social medias and communication apps recommend people in your contacts. You can find so many friends, but make sure you are staying safe with finding them and not giving away any personal information.
Playing the Game and Staying Safes~
- Now just make sure you are playing the game safe and choosing safe choices. Make sure not to share any personal information, and try to check if the person you are playing with is your true friend.
Making Sure it is your Friend~
- When playing with friends on the internet you want to make sure it is actually your friend. You can check this by texting your friend or their parent. Or you can talk about a secret code to exchange while playing the game. There are also many more things you can do. You just want to make sure that you are playing with your real friends.
Bad Email or Text~
- When getting a text or email and you don’t know who it is, make sure not to do anything. You may look at or read the text/email, but next make sure to block the number or email after. Make sure not to press any links and if their are pictures try not to look at them. There may be inappropriate things in the texts so just be careful.
How to Stay Healthy Online~
- Staying physically healthy online is really important too. You want to make sure you are not on your phone or a device for too long everyday. Make a time limit so that your eyes don’t get too tired. Also make sure that you get off your device at least an hour before bed. Something to make this time go by quicker is to read. Reading will entertain you, but also help you go to sleep better.
How to Deal with a Virus~
- First of all never click any links what so ever unless you know where they are going to lead. I would explain how to deal with a virus but it is best if you find a parent right away and ask them for help. They will give you more information and help you figure it out if you do want more in here is a good website. Make sure to try to prevent them though. There are some really cool programs you can get on your computer or phone to block viruses. I would really recommend getting a virus protection.
If you have any more questions on internet fill out this survey.